AUBURNDALE, Fla. – The Worcester State University baseball team opened up Florida play Friday evening with two setbacks to St. Norbert College by scores of 6-0 and 15-1, as the Lancers accumulated just six hits in the two 7-inning games.
March 16, 2018
Lake Myrtle Sports Complex
Records: St. Norbert (7-3) | Worcester State (0-7)
GAME ONE: St. Norbert 6, Worcester State 0
In a game that saw a total of five hits between the two teams, St. Norbert came out on top with a score of 6-0 as they plated 3-of-6 runs on a wild pitch, walk, and hit-by-pitch.
The Green Knights' first base runner was Sean Ferraro (Libertyville, Ill.) who reached on a hit by pitch. He made his way around the bases and scored on a wild pitch for the quick 1-0 lead. Sean Grant (Midlothian, Ill.) plated the Green Knights' second run with an RBI groundout on the next at-bat to put St. Norbert ahead 2-0. Despite a double from Hunter Larson (Marquette, Mich.), Worcester State pitcher, Luke Brennan (Worcester, Mass.) struck out the next batter to conclude the first inning.
After a 1-2-3 inning in the top of the second, St. Norbert added to their score in the reverse side of the inning as Ferraro hit in another run on a groundout to shortstop.
Worcester State had its second and last hit of the game in the top of the third inning when Jimmy Sheehan (Oxford, Mass.) singled up the middle. He was unable to score as two groundouts ended the inning.
St. Norbert was hitless from the fourth through sixth innings, but managed to score three runs in the bottom of the fifth on RBI from Tyler Banovich (Midlothian, Ill.), Grant, and Brett Reinhart (Manitowoc, Wis.).
- St. Norbert's pitcher, Nick Klavekoske (Beaver Dam, Wis.) earned the win on the mound as he pitched five hitless innings and recorded a shutout in the 7-inning game. He only allowed two hits and struck out seven Lancer batters.
- Worcester State's pitcher, Brennan, suffered the loss in a 4-inning performance. He allowed six runs (one unearned) on two hits. He hit five batters, walked four batters, and struck out three.
- Relief pitcher, Matt Irzyk (Westfield, Mass.) pitched two innings, allowed no runs on one hit and struck out one batter.
- Ferraro tallied a team-best two runs for St. Norbert.
- Larson, Griffin Jack (Neenah, Wis.), and Jack Maastritch (Sun Prairie, Wis.) accounted for the Green Knights' three hits.
- Worcester State's two hits came from Mike Ferrara (Easton, Mass.) and Sheehan.
GAME TWO: St. Norbert 15, Worcester State 1
The Lancers dropped the second game of the evening by a score of 15-1 as the Blue and Gold allowed St. Norbert 15 runs on 11 hits and seven Worcester State errors.
St. Norbert quickly got a run in the first inning on an RBI single from Banovitch.
The Green Knights' added to their lead in the top of the third as they poured in eight runs on three hits and two Worcester State fielding errors.
Another two runs came in on two hits in the top of the fourth to put the score at 11-0 in favor of St. Norbert.
Two additional St. Norbert runs came in in the top of the sixth, and Worcester State scored their first run of the game and spoiled the shutout in the bottom of the sixth on a sacrifice fly from William Roberge (Warwick, R.I.).
The Green Knights capped off the evening with a 2-RBI single from Michael Larsen (Baileys Harbor, Wis.) in the seventh to finalize the score at 15-1.
- St. Norbert's offense was led by Jack who went 3-for-3 with three runs on three doubles.
- Banovitch batted 2-for-3 with a run and two RBI in the second game.
- Worcester State's four hits of the game came from all underclassmen: Brandon Devin (Lynn, Mass.), Patrick Grow (Worcester, Mass.), Cooper Bigelow (Leominster, Mass.), and Evan Fritze (Spencer, Mass.).
- On the mound, Bryce Braspennickx (Green Bay, Wis.) earned his first win of the season in a 6-inning performance. He allowed one run on three hits and struck out six batters.
- Grayson Madey (Frankfort, Ill.) pitched the final inning for St. Norbert and allowed one hit and struck out two batters.
- Worcester State's Kyle Sullivan (Hudson, Mass.) suffered his second loss of the season in 2 2/3 innings pitched. He allowed nine runs (five earned) on six hits.
- Issiac Christiansen (Franklin, Maine), Owen Gibbons (Sterling, Mass.), and Brian Twomey (Hudson, Mass.) also pitched for the Blue and Gold..
- A total of 22 Lancers saw playing time, while 19 Green Knights' entered the game.
The Worcester State baseball team will break until Sunday (Mar. 18) and will face Elmhurst in a doubleheader, starting at 10:30 a.m., at the Lake Myrtle Sports Complex in Auburndale, Fla.