NORTHBORO, Mass. – The Worcester State University baseball team gave up a 4-run lead in the top of the ninth inning to send the game into extra innings and eventually fell to Rhode Island College as Sam Franco (Cranston, R.I.) hit home the Anchormen's game-winning run in the top of the 11th.
March 27, 2018
New England Baseball Complex
Score: Rhode Island College 6, Worcester State 5 (11 inn.)
Records: Rhode Island College (6-6) | Worcester State (3-12)
Worcester State scored in the bottom of the first inning on an RBI single from Kevin Larkin (Rocky Hill, Conn.). Rhode Island College matched that in the top of the second on their first hit of the game which was a solo home run to right center from Shaun Vigenant (Coventry, R.I.).
The Anchormen were hitless in the top of the third, and the Lancers took back the lead in the bottom of the third. Colin Medeiros (Fall River, Mass.) reached base on a walk, and then Mike Ferrara (Easton, Mass.) doubled to put runners at second and third. Larkin hit home Medeiros on a groundout, and Jake Breton (Wilbraham, Mass.) tallied the other RBI on a double down the left field line. Worcester State tacked on another run in the bottom of the fourth on an Anchormen error.
The Lancers made the score 5-1 as Ferrara hit an RBI single through the right side in the seventh inning.
Worcester State dismissed starting pitcher Matt Irzyk (Westfield, Mass.) who pitched eight innings and allowed just one run on six hits with a 4-run lead heading into the ninth.
Rhode Island College rallied back in the top of the ninth inning to send the game into extra innings. Bradleigh Saltsman (Ayer, Mass.) relieved Irzyk and allowed the visitors to load the bases on two walks and a single. Next up, Brad Douglas (South Kingstown, R.I.) hit a 2-RBI single through the right side to put the score at 5-3. The Anchormen scored another on a sacrifice fly from Frank Pettinato (Cranston, R.I.) and an RBI single from Tyler Rains (North Kingstown, R.I.) off the Lancers' closing pitcher, Issiac Christiansen (Franklin, Maine).
Worcester State was held to no hits throughout the remainder of the game and the Anchormen sealed the win with the RBI single from Franco in the top of the 11th.
BY THE BOOK
- Worcester State scored their five runs on seven hits and three Anchormen errors.
- The Anchormen scored their six runs on 11 hits and no Lancer errors.
- Josh Silva (Seekonk, Mass.) batted .500 (3-6) for the Anchormen and scored one run.
- Rains tallied two hits for Rhode Island College while Douglas led with a team-high two RBI.
- Worcester State's Ferrara batted 2-for-4 with one run and one RBI.
- Larkin was the Lancers' RBI leader with two.
- The Anchormen's Stephen Noti (Warwick, R.I.) earned his third win of the season in a 4-inning performance. He pitched a perfect last four innings of the game, not allowing the Lancers a hit, for the win. He struck out 4-of-14 batters faced.
- The Lancers saw eight innings from Irzyk, but Christiansen suffered the loss in the final three innings pitched as he allowed the game-winning run on three hits. Saltsman faced four batters and allowed four runs on two hits.
Worcester State returns to the NEBC on Friday (Mar. 30) as they open up conference play against Westfield State in a doubleheader beginning at 9:45 a.m. Rhode Island College returns home and hosts Becker tomorrow (Mar. 28) in a 3:30 p.m. non-conference matchup.