WORCESTER, Mass. –The Worcester State University baseball team split with the visiting Falcons of Fitchburg State in a Tuesday afternoon Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) doubleheader.
April 24, 2018
Kevin D. Lyons Diamond
Records: Worcester State (12-22, 6-6 MASCAC) | Fitchburg State (11-5-2, 5-6-1 MASCAC)
GAME ONE: Fitchburg State 11, Worcester State 3
Following a hitless first inning on both sides, Fitchburg State got off to a quick start as they piled in four and three runs, respectively, in the second and third innings. In the second, three-of-four runs were scored on walks, while the other was plated on a Nicholas Cordeau (Melrose, Mass.) single. In the third, Cordeau sent in another run on a single up the middle. An Andrew Currie (Quincy, Mass.) two-RBI triple made the score 9-1 as one Lancer run crossed on a sacrifice bunt from Sam Allen (Springfield, Mass.) in the bottom of the second.
Fitchburg State tacked on four more runs in the top of the sixth inning, which was highlighted by a Brennan Cuddahy (Leominster, Mass.) three-run home run with no outs on the board.
- Fitchburg State's Timothy Horton (Northampton, Mass.) batted 2-for-2 with two runs and two walks.
- Cordeau registered two hits, one run scored, and two RBI.
- Currie and Cuddahy each had three RBI on the occasion.
- Falcon pitcher, Ryan Towle (Westfield, Mass.) earned his fourth win of the season as he pitched six innings and allowed three runs (one unearned) on five hits. He walked four batters, and struck out four.
- Worcester State's five hits were scattered amongst five players.
- Luke Brennan (Worcester, Mass.) suffered the loss on the mound as he allowed four runs on two hits. He walked five batters and struck out two.
GAME TWO: Worcester State 7, Fitchburg State 6
Fitchburg State scored four runs in the top of the third inning on an RBI from Currie and a three-run homer from Noah Millard (Leominster, Mass.). Though, Worcester State matched that in the bottom of the third and fourth innings as they scored two runs in each to knot the score at 4-4 heading into the top of the fifth.
Fitchburg State broke the tie score in the top of the fifth inning when Sean Maki (Fitchburg, Mass.) sent in Millard for the 5-4 advantage. In the sixth inning, Brandon Lefebvre (Leominster, Mass.) doubled down the left field line to score Matthew Pingitore (Rutland, Mass.) for a 2-run leverage.
The score remained 6-4 until Worcester State rallied back in the bottom of the seventh inning. William Roberge (Warwick, R.I.) was the first Lancer to reach base in the inning on a single to centerfield. Next up, Kevin Larkin (Rocky Hill, Conn.) singled down the right field line and advanced Roberge's pinch runner, Kyle Sullivan (Hudson, Mass.) to third. With two outs on the board, the Blue and Gold loaded the bases when Colin Medeiros (Fall River, Mass.) was hit by a pitch. The next two runs were scored on an RBI walk and an RBI hit by pitch to knot the score at 6-6. Worcester State's Chadd Richardson (Bristol, Conn.) hit a walkoff single on the next at bat to plate the game-winning run. The Lancers prevailed 7-6.
- Four Falcon batters logged two hits each in the setback.
- Cuddahy reached base three times (twice on a hit, and once on a walk).
- Millard batted 1-for-3 with a walk, two runs scored, and three RBI.
- Worcester State's seven hits were dispersed amongst seven batters.
- Cooper Bigelow (Leominster, Mass.) batted 1-for-1 with three walks and two RBI.
- Each team left six men on base in game two.
- Worcester State's winning pitcher was Matt Irzyk (Westfield, Mass.) who closed out the game with 1 1/3 innings pitched.
- Shaun Gamelin (West Kingston, R.I.) took the loss for Fitchburg State in three innings pitched.
Both teams play non-conference opponents on Thursday (Apr. 26) at 3:30 p.m. Worcester State will entertain Salve Regina, while Fitchburg State will host Rhode Island College.