BUZZARDS BAY, Mass. – The Worcester State University baseball team was swept by the Buccaneers of Massachusetts Maritime in the Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) regular season finale, as they dropped the first game 2-1, and the second game by the same score in extra innings. The Buccaneers earned a share of the MASCAC regular season title with the sweep.
April 28, 2018
Records: Mass. Maritime (18-13, 10-4 MASCAC) | Worcester State (12-25, 6-8 MASCAC)
GAME ONE: Mass. Maritime 2, Worcester State 1
Worcester State was the first to reach the scoreboard on the day, as Cooper Bigelow (Leominster, Mass.) scored on a wild pitch in the top of the third inning.
After a 1-2-3 top of the fifth inning, Mass. Maritime matched the one run in the bottom of the fifth inning when Logan Sullo (Acushnet, Mass.) earned an RBI on a walk.
The Buccaneers did not allow the Lancers a hit in the last three innings and took the 2-1 lead in the bottom of the sixth on a solo homer to right center from Jackson Simone (Seattle, Wash.).
- Mason Ashburn (East Freetown, Mass.) earned the win on the mound for the Buccaneers, as he pitched the complete seven and allowed just one Lancer run on three hits. He walked three, and struck out five batters at the plate.
- Worcester State's Kyle Sullivan (Hudson, Mass.) hurled six innings and allowed two runs on just four hits. He walked four batters, and struck out four on the occasion.
- Worcester State's Colin Medeiros (Fall River, Mass.) batted 2-for-2 with a walk in game one. The other hit came from Jake Breton (Wilbraham, Mass.).
- Mass. Maritime's four hits came from four different players (Casey Furnas, Sullo, Simone, and Ben Paine).
- There were no errors committed in game one.
- Worcester State left four men stranded on base, while Mass. Maritime left six on.
GAME TWO: Mass. Maritime 2, Worcester State 1 – 9 inn.
Worcester State, once again, took the first lead of the game as rookie Breton hit a sacrifice fly to right field to plate Ben Palatino (Hudson, Mass.) for the 1-0 score.
The Lancers held the lead until the bottom of the fourth inning when the Buccaneers knotted the score at 1-1 with Simone's second homer of the day.
The game went into extra innings and Paul Sances (Middleboro, Mass.) hit a walkoff single in the bottom of the ninth inning to cap off the day with a sweep.
- John Teehan (Hyde Park, Mass.) was tabbed the win on the mound as he went the distance and allowed one run on seven Lancer hits. He threw four hitless innings and concluded the day with nine strikeouts.
- Worcester State's Matt Irzyk (Westfield, Mass.) also went the whole nine innings and suffered the loss as he allowed two runs on eight Buccaneer hits. He struck out three batters at the plate and threw three hitless innings in the setback.
- Worcester State's Kenan Kolanda (Sterling, Mass.) batted 2-for-3 while the five other hits were staggered amongst five batters.
- Medeiros registered a double and a stolen base for the Lancers.
- Mass. Maritime's offense was led by Sullo, Simone, and Paine who each had two hits in game two.
- Similar to the first game, there were no errors in game two.
Worcester State hosts Clark University in the season finale tomorrow (April 29) at 1 p.m.