FRAMINGHAM, Mass. – The Worcester State University football team wrapped up the season with a 48-20 loss against the co-league champions, Framingham State, in Saturday afternoon Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) game.
November 11, 2017
Score: Framingham State 48, Worcester State 20
Records: Framingham State (9-1, 7-1 MASCAC) | Worcester State (6-4, 5-3 MASCAC)
The Rams got on the board first with just over three minutes remaining in the opening quarter on a 74-yard touchdown pass from sophomore Adam Wojenski (Stratford, Conn.) to Napoleon Miller (Boston, Mass.). Junior Nasir Thomas (Springfield, Mass.) caught a 32-yard touchdown from Wojenski in the final minute of the opening quarter to extend the lead. Freshman Ryan Clifford (Brockton, Mass.) converted both extra points in the opening quarter and the Rams led 14-0 after one.
The Rams built their lead to 21-0 on a 45-yard touchdown pass from Wojenski to senior Khaneil Bruce (Cambridge, Mass.) with 9:48 left in the second. The Lancers got on the board in the closing minutes of the half on a 20-yard touchdown pass from Noah Brum (Honolulu, Hawaii) to Dexter Andrews (Boston, Mass.).
The Rams added two more scores in the third on a four-yard scoring run from Rufus Rushins (Lynn, Mass.) and a four-yard run by junior Will Cowdrey (Marlborough, Mass.).
The Lancers found the end zone in the opening minutes of the fourth on a one-yard fade pass from Brum to sophomore Jacob Maher (Marshfield, Mass.). The Rams found the end zone twice in the final quarter with Shaquille Joseph (Somerville, Mass.) had catching a 33-yard touchdown from Zak Walker (Ayer, Mass.) and a four-yard touchdown from Jake Brodeur (Medway, Mass.). Maher and Brum connected one final time with 1:10 left on the clock for a 42-yard touchdown to reach the final score.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Wright led the Rams rushing for 157 yards on 26 carries and surpassed the 1,000 yard mark for this season in the third quarter. Wright averaged 6.0 yards per carry for the Rams who amassed 588 yards of total offense in the game including 250 yards rushing.
- Wojenski completed 15-of-25 passes for 281 yards and three touchdowns, while Walker and Brodeur also tossed touchdown passes.
- Miller caught six balls for 104 yards and a touchdown, while senior Stephen Beahn (Spencer, Mass.) had five catches for 64 yards. Joseph had a pair of catches for 37 yards and two scores.
- The Lancers, who had 399 yards of offense in the game, were led by Brum who completed 24-of-43 passes for 336 yards with three touchdowns and a pick, while being sacked four times.
- Maher caught 11 passes for 195 yards and two touchdowns, while Andrews added three catches for 65 yards and a touchdown.
- Defensively, the Rams were paced by nine tackles, including eight solo stops, from senior Nathan Fleming (Windham, Conn.), while sophomore Joshua Onujiogu (Wareham, Mass.) added four solo stops and a sack.
- The Lancers received 13 tackles apiece from freshman Mike Quinn (Sutton, Mass.) and junior Theo Bryant (Lowell, Mass.), while this past week's MASCAC rookie of the week, Gus Ramstrom (Natick, Mass.), added seven.
Release Courtesy of Framingham State Sports Information