WORCESTER, Mass. – WPI's Sabrina Guzzi (Suffield, Conn.) scored two goals to help guide the Engineers to a 3-1 victory over Worcester State University Wednesday evening.
September 13, 2017
Score: WPI 3, Worcester State 1
Records: WPI (3-1) | Worcester State (2-2)
WPI put a number on the scoreboard in the 9th minute when Guzzi collected the ball off a goalie deflection and tapped it into the goal for the 1-0 gain. The Engineers doubled their lead just four minutes later when Amanda Richards (Wilmington, Mass.) passed forward to Abby O'Sullivan (Walpole, Mass.) on the right side, who gunned the ball across the goal for Guzzi to put a stick on and tally her second goal of the night for the 2-0 gain.
WPI's third goal of the game came in the 61st minute when Bridget Sullvian (Wilmington, Mass.) recorded an unassisted goal after she found herself in a scrum in front of the cage. Just one minute later, Worcester State's Michaila Parent (Westborough, Mass.) collected her second goal of the season on an unassisted goal to put the Lancers' deficit at two. Worcester State fought back in the last eight minutes of play as they fired off three shots and had a penalty corner opportunity, however, they were unable to come through with a comeback.
STRENGTH IN NUMBERS
- Parent tallied a game-high three shots on net in the loss. Both Guzzi and Carly Cidado (Easton, Mass.) notched two shots on net apiece, while Worcester State's Sophia Monopoli (Worcester, Mass.) logged two for the Lancers.
- WPI's Karen Mushrall (Mariaville, Maine) earned her third win in goal, turning away 7-of-8 shots on net. Worcester State's Kathryn Salemme (Boxborough, Mass.) was tabbed with the loss in a 4-save performance.
- Worcester State outshot WPI by a 15-14 edge. 10 of Worcester State's 15 shots came in the second half.
- Worcester State held a 12-2 advantage in penalty corners throughout the match.
- Worcester State is 5-5 against the Engineers in the past decade of play. Last season WPI broke Worcester State's 3-game winning streak against the Engineers by defeating the Lancers 4-3.
Worcester State hosts Western Connecticut State University in a 4 p.m. Little East Conference (LEC) game at Coughlin Field on Saturday, Sep. 16. WPI also resumes play on the same date as they travel to Wellesley for a 12 noon New England Women's & Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC).