WORCESTER, Mass. – Worcester State University's sophomore forward, Olivia Antonelli (Westford, Mass.) tallied two goals and an assist to help her team to a 5-0 shutout over the visiting Eastern Connecticut State University Warriors Friday afternoon. With the win, the Lancers extend their winning streak to six and continue to dominate the LEC.
September 29, 2017
Score: Worcester State 5, Eastern Connecticut 0
Records: Worcester State (8-2, 6-0 LEC) | Eastern Connecticut (3-5, 3-4 LEC)
Just 56 seconds into the game, Worcester State's Jess Wilding (Somerset, Mass.) found the back of the net on a pass from Antonelli following a flurry of rebounded shots off of a penalty corner. The Lancers extended their lead to two in the 13th minute as Michaila Parent (Westborough, Mass.) sent a right-to-left cross to Antonelli who buried it in the net for her sixth goal on the season. Worcester State added another tally to the scoreboard when Antonelli scored her second goal of the half on another helper from Parent. Most of the first half action was around the Eastern Connecticut net as the Lancers tallied 11 shots and only allowed the visitors four shots on goal. Worcester's senior netminder, Kathryn Salemme (Boxborough, Mass.) stopped three and Sarah Duff (Warren, Mass.) tacked on a defensive save in the effort.
The Lancers netted their fourth goal of the game 13 minutes into the second half as Sophia Monopoli (Worcester, Mass.) scored off an assist from Wilding following a penalty corner. Ten minutes later, on another penalty corner opportunity, Worcester State's Hayley D'Auteuil (Sutton, Mass.) chipped the ball into the net off helpers from Monopoli and Lauren Flemming (Leominster, Mass.), prolonging the lead to 5-0. Once again the Lancers dominated the nets as they had10 shots to Eastern Connecticut's four. Junior keeper Jenna Jenkins (Westwood, Mass.) entered the game in the second half and tallied one save.
CRUNCH THE NUMBERS
- Worcester State's Antonelli led the Blue and Gold's attack with two goals and an assist. Both Monopoli and Wilding finished the game with a goal and an assist each.
- Eastern Connecticut's offense was led by Alex Kallgren (Dudley, Mass.) and Erin Sheehan (North Branford, Conn.) who both fired off two shots on net apiece.
- The Warriors' Amy Smith (Trumbull, Conn.) earned game-high honors with three defensive saves on the afternoon.
- Eastern's goaltender, Maddie LaRusso (Enfield, Conn.) was tabbed the loss, as she stopped 12 shots on net.
- Worcester State's Salemme stopped five shots on net, while Jenkins, stopped one in 16:05 minutes played.
- Worcester State outshot Eastern Connecticut by a 21-8 margin. They also held an edge in penalty corners, 13-7.
- Worcester State extends its winning streak to six, and remains undefeated in conference play.
The Lancers will return to action after a one-week break as they take on LEC opponent, Plymouth State, on Oct. 7.
Release written by Dan Wheeler | Sports Information Intern