BABSON PARK, Mass. – Jordan Seldon (Everett, Mass.) hit a go-ahead three-pointer from the right wing with 43 seconds left to help lift Regis College to an 80-74 victory over Worcester State University in the consolation game of the Babson Invitational Tournament Sunday afternoon.
November 19, 2017
Score: Regis 80, Worcester State 74
Records: Regis (1-2) | Worcester State (0-3)
Regis never trailed in the first half and carried a 49-41 lead into the break after shooting 75 percent (18-of-24) from the floor. The Pride, which went 7-of-8 from beyond the arc, led by as many as 10 over the first 20 minutes. Worcester State got 15 first-half points from Cal Howes (Maynard, Mass.) and converted 11 Regis turnovers into 15 points.
The Pride led by as many as 12 in the second half, but the Lancers used a 19-5 run to go in front 66-64 on a triple by Howes with 5:33 left. Juvens Dalger (Oakland Park, Fla.) of Regis followed a layup by Shaun McCarthy (Oxford, Mass.) with a pair of free throws to tie the game at 74-74 with 1:19 left, and Seldon drained a three-pointer late in the shot clock on the next possession to put the Pride in front for good.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Seldon scored 19 points, while Roger Hamel and Tim Broom added 16 and 15, respectively, for the Pride.
- Ademola Afonja (Staten Island, N.Y.) also finished with 12 points and six rebounds in the win.
- Howes, whoe was named to the All-Tournament team, led all scorers with a career-high 26 points for the Lancers.
- McCarthy added 15 points and seven rebounds, while Erik Bjorn (Holden, Mass.) chipped in with 15 points and six boards in the loss.
- Regis outshot the Lancers, going 28-for-52 (53.8%) from the floor, while Worcester State stood at 42.2%.
- The Pride made 11 3-pointers with a 42.3 3-point percentage.
- Regis outrebounded Worcester State 32-28.
Worcester State opens up at home on Tuesday (Nov. 21) when they host WPI in a 5:30 p.m. matchup inside the Lancer Gymnasium.
Release Courtesy of Babson Sports Information