WORCESTER, Mass. – Lasell College's Stefan Masciarelli (Northbridge, Mass.) registered a game-high 31 points to help the Lasers earn their first win of the season as they defeated the Lancers of Worcester State 93-85 in a Thursday evening non-conference tilt. Worcester State's Shaun McCarthy (Oxford, Mass.) posted a career-high 28 points in the setback.
November 30, 2017
Score: Lasell 93, Worcester State 85
Records: Lasell (1-4) | Worcester State (0-6)
Worcester State began the game with a 9-0 run on points from Cal Howes (Maynard, Mass.) and Will Watkins Jr. (Southbridge, Mass.). The Lasers came back with seven points on buckets from Masciarelli and Tim Blair (Newington, Conn.) to put the score at 9-7. The Lancers maintained the lead until the Lasers knotted the score at 15-15 with 12:12 on the clock succeeding a Brandon Vila (Jersey City, N.J.) layup. Worcester State responded with an Emeka Eguatu (Worcester, Mass.) layup and a triple from Amani Chambe (Providence, R.I.) to attain a five point edge. Lasell tied the score once again with 9:16 on the clock, but Worcester State once again took the lead on a McCarthy layup. The game saw its third tie with 2:45 on the clock, and its fourth with 1:45 on the clock ensuing a Liam Jacobs (Plainfield, Conn.) free throw. The Lasers took their first lead of the game with 1:30 to go in the first stanza and went on an 8-0 run ignited by a Jacobs 3-pointer to close out the half with a score of 47-39 in their favor.
Masciarelli came out of the half with a jumper following a steal from Victor Collazo (Clearwater, Fla.) to give the Lasers the largest lead yet of 10. Blair added to it with a pair of free throws, advancing the score to 51-39. Worcester State slowly chipped away at the Lasers' lead as McCarthy made back-to-back moves in the post and Watkins Jr. made a pair of triples. The Lancers trailed by four with just 4:28 to go following a shot from Howes, and then got within three with 2:22 on the clock with a Manny Green (Boston, Mass.) 3-pointer. Lasell added five points to the scoreboard on a jumper and a triple from Masciarelli with less than two minutes to go. Worcester State attempted the comeback, but Lasell made five-of-six free throws in the last 30 seconds and capped of the night with an and-one from Masciarelli to settle the score at 93-85.
BY THE BOOK
- Masciarelli earned a game-high 31 points on 12 field goals (2 triples) and went 5-for-5 from the charity stripe.
- Jacobs and Blair added in 18 and 16 points respectively, while Derek McMahon (Hatfield, Mass.) also punched in double digits scoring with 12 points for Lasell.
- Masciarelli and Dannie Moore (Orlando, Fla.) led the Lasers on the boards with six each.
- Worcester State's McCarthy posted a career-high 28 points, going 11-for-17 from the field and 6-for-8 from the free throw line.
- Howes also registered double-digits scoring with 22 points, including five 3-pointers.
- Watkins Jr. added in 13 points for the Blue and Gold.
- The Lancers' rebounder of the night was Chris Cardoso (Jamaica Plains, Mass.) who had eight.
- Lasell shot 48.6% from the field, while Worcester State notched a 46.4 field goal percentage.
- Worcester State made 10-of-26 3-pointers, while the Lasers made 10-of-27.
- Lasell's free throw percentage of 83.3% outdid Worcester's whose was 57.9%.
This weekend, Worcester State travels to Northfield, Vt. to take part in the Ed Hockenbury Classic hosted by Norwich University. Lasell hosts MIT on Saturday (Dec. 2) at 3 p.m.