WORCESTER, Mass. – Kevin Vanderhorst (Lawrence, Mass.) carried the Mustangs of Mount Ida College to a 109-93 victory over Worcester State with a double-double of 22 points and 12 rebounds in a Thursday evening non-conference game inside the Lancer Gymnasium.
December 7, 2017
Score: Mount Ida 109, Worcester State 93
Records: Mount Ida (6-2) | Worcester State (1-9)
Mount Ida took the first lead of the game and held the lead until Worcester State University's Cal Howes (Maynard, Mass.) made a layup and a triple to put the Lancers ahead 7-6 two minutes into the game. The Mustangs took back the lead 28 seconds later on a three from Joey DeFillippi (Bristol, Conn.), but Howes knotted the game at 9-9 moments later. The teams traded points and saw back-to-back lead changes throughout the remainder of the half. Worcester State saw its largest lead of eight with 9:31 on the clock succeeding an and-one from Manny Green (Boston, Mass.). The Lancers kept the lead until Errald Jordine (Stamford, Conn.) made a triple with 5:30 on the clock which ignited a 7-0 run for the Mustangs to take back the lead. In the last five minutes of play, the game saw four lead changes and a tie at 45-45 until Mount Ida closed out the half with a 7-4 run to put the score at 52-49.
Worcester State's Shaun McCarthy (Oxford, Mass.) began the half with a layup before Mount Ida went on an 8-0 run, including two long balls from Jayson Clark (Austin, Texas) to extend their lead to nine. Howes made a triple on the other side of the court on the next possession, but the Mustangs slowly pushed away from the Lancers and attained a 20-point lead with 10:27 on the clock following a layup from Brendan Cunningham (Quincy, Mass.). Mount Ida saw its largest lead of 24 with 7:41 remaining on the clock with a triple from Kevin Connor (Mansfield, Mass.). Worcester State saw some momentum just under two minutes to go when Kyon Griffith-Daniels (Boston, Mass.) and Amani Chambe (Providence, R.I.) made back-to-back steals and layups off the Mustang turnovers to get within 17, but it was too late to make a comeback.
COUNT ME IN
- Vandrhost came off the bench and led the Mustangs with a double-double of a game-high 22 points and 12 rebounds. He went 7-for-13 from the field and a perfect 8-for-8 from the free throw line.
- Six other Mustangs scored double digits, including Jordine, DeFillipi, Jonathan Friberg (North Attleboro, Mass.), Connor, John Oliver (North Babylon, N.Y.) and Clark with 16-15-13-11-11-10 points, respectively.
- DeFillipi was the team leader in assists with six, while he and DiFillipi each had five steals apiece in the win.
- Worcester State saw four players reach double figures in points. Howes led with 18 points, while Will Watkins Jr. (Southbridge, Mass.) was credited with 16 points and a team-high seven rebounds. McCarthy and Green put up 13 and 11 points, respectively.
- Griffith-Daniels led the Lancers with three steals.
- Despite the setback, Worcester State outshot the Mustangs in field shooting percentage. The Lancers shot 57.8% from the field, while Mount Ida shot 44.6%.
- The Mustangs made two more triples than Worcester State, shooting 34.8% from beyond the arc.
- Mount Ida made 27-of-33 (81.8%) free throws, while Worcester State stood at 52% from the charity stripe.
- Mount Ida outrebounded Worcester State 48-33 and caused 25 Worcester turnovers.
- In total, the game saw four ties and 12 lead changes.
The Mustangs hit the road for their last game of 2017 on Saturday (Dec. 9) to face Wentworth in a 3 p.m. matchup. Worcester State travels to Salve Regina on the same date for a 1 p.m. tilt.