ALBANY, N.Y. – Worcester State University's Shaun McCarthy (Oxford, Mass.) made 14 field goals and went a perfect 4-for-4 from the free throw line to score a career-high 32 points with 12 rebounds in the Lancers' 87-74 setback to Sage Monday evening.
January 8, 2018
Score: Sage 87, Worcester State 74
Records: Sage (6-5) | Worcester State (1-13)
Worcester State took the first lead of the game on a layup from McCarthy. However, Sage took the lead back 39 seconds later when Isaiah Scurry (Albany, N.Y.) sank a triple. The teams traded points next, but Sage took a 6-point lead succeeding a Kevin Lenehan (Delanson, N.Y.) layup with 14:38 on the clock. After another Scurry 3-pointer to put the Gators ahead by eight, Worcester State's Jason Truax (Northborough, Mass.) came back with two back-to-back jumpers and Manny Green (Boston, Mass.) made a layup to clip Sage's lead to just two (15-13). With just under 12 minutes to go in the half, Wayne Weir (Bronx, N.Y.) put up five points on a layup and a long ball, while Kostas Avgoullas (Astoria, N.Y.) converted an and-one to take an 11-point lead. The teams once again kept the gap at 11, but Sage extended its lead with a 12-0 run to pull ahead by 23 with 2:29 remaining in the frame. Worcester State's McCarthy scored two baskets with under a two minutes to go, but Sage kept packing on points as well, leading to a 50-31 score at the half.
McCarthy came out of the half with two layups and then teammate Bryson Gulley (Mattapan, Mass.) saw five points on a pair of freebies and a triple with 17 minutes on the clock to bring the Lancers within 14. Sage added back the points on a triple from Scurry and an and-one from Anthony Mitchell (Bronx, N.Y.). McCarthy and Gulley were scoring for the Lancers, but Sage was not stopped. The Lancers were able to get within 10 with 5:47 to go in the game succeeding a Gulley 3-pointer, and trail by less than 10 with 1:17 to go, but they were not able entice a comeback, resulting in an 87-74 final score.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- McCarthy posted a career-high 32 points with 12 board to mark his third double-double of the season. He also dished out two assists in the setback.
- Worcester State saw double-digit scoring from Gulley who had 16 points, including four treys.
- Cal Howes (Maynard, Mass.), Truax, and Emmanuel Bangandozou (Worcester, Mass.) each chipped in six points.
- Joe Desormier (Granby, Mass.) led the Lancers in the assists category with five.
- Sage was led by Scurry who had 21 points, going 5-for-9 from long range and 8-for-16 from the field.
- Lenehan was one rebound shy of a double-double with 17 points and nine rebounds. Weir put up 11 points and a game-high four steals.
- Jordan Devaughn (Jacksonville, Fla.) guided the Gator offense with a team-high four assists.
- Despite the loss, Worcester State held a higher field goal percentage than Sage at 49.2% (29-59).
- Sage marked a 37.5% 3-point field goal percentage, while Worcester State stood at 26.3%.
- Sage forced 22 Lancer turnovers which turned into 23 points for the Gators.
Worcester State heads to Framingham on Wednesday (Jan. 10) to matchup against MASCAC opponent, Framingham State.