WORCESTER, Mass. – Despite the Worcester State men's basketball team breaking the school record for the most 3-pointers made in a single game (16), the team gave up a late lead to Bridgewater State who scored 16 consecutive points in the last five minutes of play to go ahead 94-86 in a Tuesday evening Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) contest.
January 23, 2018
Score: Bridgewater State 94, Worcester State 86
Records: Bridgewater State (11-7, 4-1 MASCAC) | Worcester State (1-17, 0-5 MASCAC)
Worcester State took a 5-0 lead to begin on a trey from Will Watkins Jr. (Southbridge, Mass.) and a layup from Shaun McCarthy (Oxford, Mass.). Bridgewater State's Rocky DeAndrade (Mansfield, Mass.) kept the game within two succeeding a 3-point play. However, Worcester scored the next 12 points, including three triples from Cal Howes (Maynard, Mass.) and another from Watkins, to attain a 14-point lead with 15:38 on the clock. Bridgewater State battled back and made it a 3-point game with 10:57 on the clock with a Ryan Carney (Easton, Mass.) layup. Worcester State maintained a slight lead and went into the half ahead 46-40.
Bridgewater State's Carney came out of the locker room scoring six consecutive points to knot the score at 46-46. Worcester State pushed back ahead as the team was raining three's, but Bridgewater State kept the game within reach. The Lancers were up by eight with 5:18 to go following Watkins' seventh 3-pointer of the game. The last five minutes were dominated by Bridgewater State as they scored 16 successive points and held the Lancers scoreless for the 94-86 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Worcester State's team broke the school record for the most 3-point field goals made in a game with 16 in the setback. Watkins put up seven, Howes put up six, Bryson Gulley (Mattapan, Mass.) and Joe Desormier (Granby, Mass.) added in two and one, respectively, to total the 16. The previous marking was when the Lancers made 15 3-point field goals against Fitchburg State last season.
- Bridgewater State's DeAndrade marked a season-high 24 points, going 4-for-9 from behind the arc. He also logged a team-high six assists in the win.
- Carty had 21 points for the Bears, as he shot 92.8% (13-14) from the free throw line. He also collected a game-high 18 boards for his team-leading 11th double-double of the season.
- Carney and Rayshon Ward (Plymouth, Mass.) recorded 18 and 17 points, respectively.
- Worcester State's Watkins and Howes combined for 57 points in the setback. Watkins led all scoring with 31 points, going 7-for-11 from beyond the arc. Howes matched his career-high with 26 points, going 6-for-10 from 3-point range.
- McCarthy chipped in 12 points for the Blue and Gold.
- Desormier notched a career-high 12 assists in the setback.
- Worcester State shot over 50% from both the field and 3-point range. They went 35-for-62 (56.5%) from the field, and converted 16-of-28 (57.1%) from beyond the arc.
- Bridgewater State shots 45.6% (33-71) from the field and 47.4% (9-19) from 3-point range. They also shot an impressive 86.4% (19-22) from the charity stripe, while Worcester State did not convert any of two attempts.
- The visitors outrebounded the hosts 38-30.
Worcester State's next game is scheduled for Thursday (Jan. 27) when they travel to Westfield State for a 7:30 p.m. tilt. Bridgewater State will host Fitchburg State on the same date.