BRIDGEWATER, Mass. – In a game that saw 12 ties and 13 lead changes, the Bears of Bridgewater State came out on top and defeated the Worcester State University by a score of 80-75 in a Wednesday evening Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) men's basketball tilt. Worcester State's Shaun McCarthy (Oxford, Mass.) marked a career-high 34 points in the setback.
February 14, 2018
Score: Bridgewater State 80, Worcester State 75
Records: Bridgewater State (16-8, 9-2 MASCAC) | Worcester State (3-21, 2-9 MASCAC)
The first five minutes of the half saw four ties until Bridgewater State broke away when Ryan Carney (Easton, Mass.) scored 10 consecutive points, including two triples, for the hosts who then led 18-10 with 13:58 to go. Worcester State's Will Watkins Jr. (Southbridge, Mass.) broke the Bears' run with a triple himself to get the Lancers within five (18-13). Worcester State fought back for the lead as Watkins and Chris Cardoso (Jamaica Plains, Mass.) scored back-to-back points, and the Lancers' 12-0 run was capped off by a McCarthy layup to give the Blue and Gold a 25-21 advantage with 7:48 on the clock. The teams traded points and leads throughout the remainder of the stanza, but Bridgewater came out on top succeeding a 7-0 run ignited by a Rocky DeAndrade (Mansfield, Mass.) triple.
The Bears held an 8-point lead heading into the second half, but Worcester State slowly chipped away at the lead and got within one following a Cal Howes (Maynard, Mass.) with 17:16 on the clock. Worcester State got within three more times until Watkins knotted the score at 62-62 with 9:33 to go. The remainder of the game saw numerous ties, until the last one with 1:23 on the clock after a Bridgewater State Rayshon Ward (Fayetteville, N.C.) triple to put the score at 75-75. DeAndre would then score three points on an and-one to give the Bears a slim lead. On the next possession, Worcester State turned the ball over which led to a pair of free throws for Dmitri St. Louis (Brockton, Mass.) to settle the score at 80-75.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- McCarthy netted a career-high 34 points, going 13-for-23 (56.5%) from the field and 8-for-10 (80%) from the charity stripe. He bested his previous career-high of 32 points, which he totaled twice this season (against Sage and Fitchburg State). He also collected eight rebounds and an assist in the loss.
- Watkins shot 50% (3-6) from three point range and totaled 15 points with a team-high nine boards, while Howes put up 12 points for the Lancers.
- Bridgewater State was guided by DeAndrade with had 21 points, five rebounds, and an assist.
- Ward marked a double-double of 12 points and 13 rebounds.
- Carney and St. Louis also scored double figures of 19 and 18 points, respectively.
- Bridgewater State shot 43.1% from the field and 50% from 3-point range, while Worcester State stood at 38% from the field and 30.4% from beyond the arc.
- Worcester State held a 46-40 edge in rebounds.
- Bridgewater is 30-4 versus Worcester since 2003-2004 and 65-39 all-time.
Both teams wrap up regular season play on Saturday afternoon at three. The Bears travel to Fitchburg State University, while the Lancers entertain Westfield State University.