WORCESTER, Mass. – The Worcester State University men's ice hockey team remains unbeaten as Mike Moran (Milford, Mass.) guided the Lancers to their eighth straight win with two third period goals and an assist to triumph 4-1 over the visiting Corsairs of UMass Dartmouth in Thursday evening Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action.
November 30, 2017
Fidelity Bank Worcester Ice Center
Score: Worcester State 4, UMass Dartmouth 1
Records: Worcester State (8-0-0, 5-0-0 MASCAC) | UMass Dartmouth (3-6-1, 3-2-1 MASCAC)
Worcester State fired off 11 shots and UMass Dartmouth totaled nine, but the game remained scoreless as Josh Reinstein (Woodland Hills, Calif.) and Drew Michals (Newton, Mass.) turned away all shots on net, preserving a nil score.
The Lancers jumped on the scoreboard in the 7th minute of the second period when Worcester State's Nick Patullo (Doylestown, Pa.) registered an unassisted goal. UMass Dartmouth came back with one of their own just four minutes later when Jeff Kirkwood (Ithaca, N.Y.) received the puck on passes from Jonathan Ruiz (Williamstown, N.J.) and Mike Sones (Waterdown, Ont.) on a power play.
Tied 1-1 going into the final stanza, Worcester State overcame the level score and totaled three goals in the third period. It wasn't until 10 minutes in that the Lancers took the 2-1 lead on a goal from Andy DeAngelis (Poughquag, N.Y.) and assisted by Moran. Less than two minutes later Moran buried a shot on a helper from Mitchell Purdie (Peterborough, Ont.) to put the Lancers up by two. In the 18th minute, Moran put the game out of reach for the Corsairs and tallied his second consecutive goal, guiding the Lancers to the 4-1 victory.
DOWN FOR A COUNT
- Moran tallied two goals and an assist in the win. He currently leads the team in goals (8) and points (12) this season.
- Kirkwood logged his second goal of the season in the setback.
- The Lancers outshot the Corsairs by a 30-25 margin.
- Worcester State's goaltender, Reinstein, improves to 7-0 on the season as he stopped 24-of-25 shots on net for a .960 save percentage.
- Michals set aside 26-of-29 shots for a .897 save percentage.
- UMass Dartmouth went 1-for-5 on power plays, while Worcester State stood at .000 on four attempts.
The Lancers resume play this Saturday (Dec. 2) when they host Fitchburg State in a 7 p.m. tilt. The Corsairs are set to play this Saturday as well as they travel to Stonehill for a 5:10 p.m. non-conference matchup.