CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Worcester State University's Justin Lewis (Lynn, Mass.) was named the Division III New England high jump Champion Saturday afternoon at the Morrison Track at MIT, helping his team to a 12th place finish of 30+ teams in attendance.
May 5, 2018
Division III New England Championships
TOP-12 TEAM RANKINGS
1st Place: MIT (167.5)
2nd Place: Bates (75)
3rd Place: UMass Dartmouth (64)
4th Place: Middlebury (62.5)
5th Place: Tufts (60)
6th Place: Bridgewater State (40)
7th Place: Bowdoin (38)
8th Place: Coast Guard (35)
9th Place: UMass Boston (28)
10th Place: Springfield (26)
11th Place: WPI (25)
12th Place: Worcester State (21)
WORCESTER STATE INDIVIDUAL RESULTS
- Justin Lewis: 1st Place in High Jump (2.12m/6-11.5)
- Marcus Vieira: 5th Place in Hammer (53.23m/174-8), 7th Place in Discus (47.33m/155-3.75), 11th Place in Shot Put (13.77m/45-2.5)
- Elmer Acuna: 6th Place in Shot Put (14.67m/48-1.75), 10th Place in Discus (44.25m/145-2.5)
- Edward Boamah: 7th Place in 400 Meter Hurdles (55.46), 21st Place in 100 Meters (11.23)
- John Ojukwu: 12th Place in 100 Meters (11.08)
- Jacob Roumanos: 13th Place in Shot Put (13.41m/44-0.25), 16th Place in Discus (40.85m/134-0.5)
- Markiesh Harmon: 16th Place in Triple Jump (12.46m/40-10.5), 22nd Place in Long Jump (6.32m/20-9)
- Anthony Christo: 18th Place in Hammer (44.14m/144-10)
- 4x100 Meter Relay: 19th Place (46.00): Zachary Poitras, Edward Boamah, Michael Butten, John Ojukwu
Lewis posted a season-best 2.12m (6-11.5) marking in the high jump to earn Division III New England honors in the event, scoring 10 points for his team. With this result, he currently stands at second in all of NCAA Division III. Teammate Markiesh Harmon (Leominster, Mass.) competed in the triple and long jumps for the Blue and Gold.
Marcus Vieira (Peabody, Mass.) and Elmer Acuna (Newton, Mass.) led the Lancers in the throwing events. Vieira logged a fifth place finish in the hammer throw (53.23m/174-8), a seventh place finish in the discus (47.33m/155-03.75) and an 11th place marking in the shot put (13.77m/45-2.5). Acuna logged sixth in the shot put (14.67m/48-1.75) and 10th in the discus with a personal best distance of 44.25m (145-2.5). Jacob Roumanos (Whitman, Mass.) and Anthony Christo (Peabody, Mass.) also competed in the throwing events.
Edward Boamah (Worcester, Mass.) performed in the 400 meter hurdles and 100 meter dash. He placed seventh in the hurdles in a personal record time of 55.46. John Ojukwu (Stow, Mass.) came in 12th in the 100 meter hurdles.
Next weekend, the men's team heads to Dartmouth College for the All New England Championships.