CLERMONT, Fla. – The Worcester State University softball team dropped two games against Plymouth State and UW-Oshkosh by scores of 8-7 and 9-2, respectively, Sunday afternoon as they opened up the 2018 season with spring play in Florida.
March 18, 2018
Hancock Park #1
Record: Worcester State (0-2)
GAME ONE: Plymouth State 8, Worcester State 7
Worcester State opened the 2018 season with back-to-back hits from Ashley Lynch (Shrewsbury, Mass.), Kristen Huston (Spencer, Mass.), and then a 2-RBI double from Sydney Despres (Sterling, Mass.) to take a quick 2-0 lead against the Panthers.
In the reverse side of the inning, Plymouth State would put a run up on an RBI from Ashley Deyo (Dover, N.H.), plating Hannah Seidner (Pembroke, N.H.) who had reached on a single to left center.
Worcester State would add to their 2-1 lead in the top of the second when Huston hit an RBI single through the right side to score Samantha Stake (Worcester, Mass.) who reached on a single to left field earlier in the inning. The Lancers loaded the bases in the top of the second (Lynch, Huston, and Despres on base), but the Blue and Gold left three stranded with a fly out to centerfield on the next at bat.
The Panthers matched the one run in the reverse side of the inning as Nora Butler (Tewksbury, Mass.) hit an RBI single to centerfield to plate Taylor Wood (Londonderry, N.H.).
After a scoreless third inning for both teams, Worcester State put up three runs on three hits from Lynch, Huston, and Dakota Smith-Porter (Montague, Mass.), in which Huston and Smith-Porter both recorded doubles. The Lancers led 6-2 going into the bottom of the fourth. Plymouth State made the score 6-3 in the reverse side as Butler registered a sacrifice fly.
Worcester State and Plymouth State each recorded a run in the fifth inning to advance the score to 7-4.
Neither team allowed a run in the sixth, and the game came down to a 7-inning rally for the Panthers. Plymouth State had a 1-2-3 top of the seventh, and then came through with four runs on three hits in the bottom for the 8-7 win. The Panthers' Jen Landers (Berlin, N.H.) reached base on a walk and then Abrie Davis (Amherst, N.H.) singled to right field to put runners on the corners. Next up, Butler tripled to right field two score both runners, putting the score at 7-6. Another run came through on a fielder's choice. Then, with two outs, Nina Murray (Saugus, Mass.) came up to the plate and hit in the game-winning RBI with a double to right center.
- Plymouth State's Seidner and Wood both went 2-for-4, while Butler went 2-for-3 with a game-high four RBI and a triple.
- Worcester State's Lynch and Huston both went 3-for-5 with two runs apiece.
- Huston, Despres, and Smith-Porter each tallied two RBI and a double apiece in the setback.
- Plymouth State's relief pitcher, Allison Moylan (Methuen, Mass.) earned the win in the circle, pitching 3 2/3 innings. She only allowed four hits, one run (unearned) in the win.
- Worcester State's Rachel Frisch (Worcester, Mass.) was tabbed with the loss as she allowed four runs on three hits in the seventh inning.
- Carly Ziielinski (Monson, Mass.) started for the Lancers, pitched six innings and allowed four runs (two unearned) on seven hits. She struck out three batters.
- Worcester State logged four errors throughout the game, while Plymouth State had one.
- The Lancers held a 13-10 advantage in hits.
GAME TWO: UW-Oshkosh 9, Worcester State 2
Following a scoreless first inning, UW-Oshkosh scored two runs on hits from Kailee Garstecki (Germantown, Wis.) and a sacrifice fly from Brianna Witter (Muskego, Wis.) for a 2-0 lead.
The Titans added to their lead in the top of the third inning when they totaled four runs on three hits and a Lancer error. After Emma Fionda (Spring Grove, Ill.) reached first on a Lancer error, Abby Menting (Kimberly, Wis.) doubled to right center to put runners at second and third. A sacrifice fly from Natalie Dudek (Burbank, Ill.) scored one run, and then a double from Acacia Tupa (Jacksonport, Wis.) scored two more. The fourth run was scored on a Garstecki single to left center.
The fourth inning brought in another run for UW-Oshkosh when Erika Berry (Germantown, Wis.) homered to left field for a 7-0 score.
Worcester State reached the board in the bottom of the fourth on RBI from Katie Polselli (Charlton, Mass.) and Frisch.
The Lancers were held to no hits in the last two innings, and UW-Oshkosh wrapped up the game with two runs in the top of the seventh inning to settle the score at 9-2.
- Berry batted 3-for-5 with one run and two RBI for the Titans.
- Garstecki also registered three hits, going 3-for-4 with a run and two RBI.
- The Lancers' six hits were scattered amongst six players (Huston, Despres, Smith-Porter, Polselli, Frisch, and Kaiulani Ennis).
- In the circle, Kaitlyn Krol (Chicago, Ill.) earned the win as she pitched three innings and only allowed two hits and struck out one batter.
- Worcester State's Smith-Porter suffered the loss in a 3-inning performance. She allowed seven runs (four unearned), walked four batters, and struck out one.
- UW-Oshkosh's nine runs were scored on eleven hits and three Lancer errors.
The softball team returns to Hancock Park tomorrow as they matchup against St. Lawrence at 9 a.m. and Washington & Jefferson at 11:30 a.m.