WORCESTER, Mass. – Springfield College's Gracie Restituyo (Barrington, R.I.) posted a double-double of 17 points and 11 rebounds with two blocks and an assist to help the Pride to a 56-45 victory over the Lancers of Worcester State in a Saturday afternoon non-conference matchup inside the Lancer Gymnasium.
December 9, 2017
Score: Springfield 56, Worcester State 45
Records: Springfield (6-2) | Worcester State (5-4)
Worcester State's Britt Herring (West Brookfield, Mass.) put up the first number on the scoreboard with a layup 58 seconds into the game. Springfield matched that with a jumper from Heather King (Lebanon, N.H.) on the next possession. The Lancers took their second lead of the game on a jumper from Kate Surprenant (Pelham, N.H.) to put the score at 4-2. Springfield's Chelsea McAllister (Baltimore, Vt.) came down the court and drained a triple with 7:22 on the clock to take the 5-4 edge over Worcester State. The Pride would never trail again throughout the remainder of the quarter as they held their largest lead yet of seven with 2:09 to go. Kaitlyn Berkel (Waterford, Conn.) and Herring closed out the quarter with layups to put the score at 13-10, in favor of the Pride, to enter the second quarter.
Worcester State started the second quarter with buckets from Surprenant and Sam Maglione (Lancaster, Mass.) to take back the lead. Springfield responded with a layup from Lauren Rudolph (Franklin, Mass.) and a pair of free throws from Restituyo to take the 3-point advantage. Surprenant had the next basket, recording a triple to knot the score at 17-17. The teams traded points until Springfield took the last lead of the quarter with a triple from Rudolph with 2:21 on the clock. Taylor Hall (Tolland, Conn.) increased Springfield's lead to three with a good free throw to go into the intermission ahead, 25-22.
Springfield extended its lead to seven in the third quarter as they outscored the Lancers 15-11. Springfield's Restituyo put up four points on a layup and a pair of free throws, while Alex Goslin (South Windsor, Conn.) had the next four for the Pride, going 4-for-4 from the charity stripe. The Pride saw its largest lead yet (8) with 5:51 on the clock when McAllister nailed a three from the left side. Worcester State's Brianna Hackett (Hollis, N.H.) responded with a three to tighten the gap. Springfield concluded the third period with four points in comparison to Worcester's one for a 40-33 score.
The teams battled until Springfield's King made a layup and stretched the Pride's lead to nine. With a minute to go, Springfield gained a 10-point advantage and Worcester State acted quickly with a long ball from Hackett to get within seven (49-42). Hackett made another triple from the left side in the time remaining, but Springfield's foul shots assisted them in a 56-45 win over Worcester.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Pride were led by Restituyo who collected a double-double of 17 points and 10 rebounds with two blocks and one assist.
- Two other Springfield players score double-digits as Goslin put up 15 and McAllister logged 10.
- Worcester State's offense was guided by Hackett, Herring, and Surprenant who posted 12-11-11 points, respectively. Hackett shot 44.4% from 3-point range, making 4-of-9 3-pointers.
- Catherine Sweeney (Lowell, Mass.) was the game-leader in both rebounds and assists with a double-double of 12 rebounds and 11 assists.
- Berkel collected 11 rebounds and a game-high four block for the Lancers.
- Springfield held the shooting advantage, going 33.3% from the field, 33.3% from 3-point range, and 85% from the free throw line.
- Worcester State shot below 30% from the field and beyond the arc and made 4-of-10 free throws.
- Springfield outrebounded Worcester State 48-36.
- The game saw three ties and seven lead changes.
Worcester State will take a 3-week break for the holiday and resume play on December 28 at Birmingham Southern. Springfield's next contest is scheduled for Friday, December 15 as they host Westfield State in non-conference action.