FRAMINGHAM, Mass. – Freshman Abbey Battaini (Haverhill, Mass.) nailed a three from the left wing with 1:54 remaining in the game to propel the Framingham State University women's basketball team to a 65-63 victory over Worcester State University this evening's in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) game.
January 10, 2018
Framingham Athletic Center
Score: Framingham State 65, Worcester State 63
Records: Framingham State (8-6, 2-0 MASCAC) | Worcester State (6-8, 0-2 MASCAC)
The Lancers, who never trailed in the game until the closing minutes, jumped out to a 10-3 lead midway through the first quarter and led 16-8 after one.
The Rams cut the deficit to four on a pair of Raegan Mulherin (Baldwinville, Mass.) free throws in the opening minutes of the second, but the Lancers used a 6-0 run to push the lead to 10. The Rams chipped away at the lead and pulled within four at the half after back-to-back threes from Mary Kate O'Day (Berlin, Mass.).
The Lancers opened the third quarter with a run taking a 32-25 lead on a Kaitlyn Berkel (Waterford, Conn.) jumper, but the Rams answered with a run tying the game at 34-34 on a pair of free throws with 5:11 remaining in the quarter. Worcester took the lead back on a Kate Surprenant (Pelham, N.H.) layup and eventually led 50-42 after three.
Worcester maintained the lead through the opening minutes of the fourth leading by as many as nine, 58-49, before the Rams outscored them 16-5 over the final seven minutes to come up with the victory. Worcester led 63-60 with 2:22 on the clock, but a Junior Tiphani Harris (Revere, Mass.) bucket in the paint cut the lead to one. On the ensuing possession for the Lancers, Mulherin came up with a steal and found Battaini on the wing for the game-winner and what would be the Rams only lead of the evening. The Lancers had three looks at the game tying or go-ahead shot in the final 30 seconds, but could not connect.
COUNT ME IN
- The Rams were paced by 25 points from O'Day who connected on eight-of-18 from the floor including four-of-nine from behind the arc to go along with two rebounds, three assists and a steal.
- Mulherin added 18 points, five rebounds, three assists and five steals.
- Harris chipped in with eight points and nine rebounds, while Battaini added six points on two-of-four from behind the arc.
- The Lancers were led by a double-double of 18 points and 15 rebounds, including six offensive boards, from Berkel.
- Worcester State junior Britt Herring (West Brookfield, Mass.) added 13 points and five rebounds with four blocks, while Surprenant added 10 points and four assists.
- Sophomore Catherine Sweeney (Lowell, Mass.) chipped in with five points, 10 rebounds and seven assists for the visitors.
Worcester State resumes MASCAC play on Saturday (Jan. 13) as they head to North Adams, Mass. to take on MCLA in a 1 p.m. affair.
Release Courtesy of Framingham State Sports Information