WORCESTER, Mass. – Worcester State University's freshman Sam Maglione (Lancaster, Mass.) made six triples and totaled 26 points in the Lancers' 74-63 Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) win over the visiting Falcons of Fitchburg State Saturday afternoon.
January 20, 2018
Score: Worcester State 74, Fitchburg State 63
Records: Worcester State (8-8, 2-2 MASCAC) | Fitchburg State (5-11, 0-4 MASCAC)
The Lancers started with eight consecutive points, four of which were from junior Kate Surprenant (Pelham. N.H.). Fitchburg State was scoreless until Mikaela Mitchell (Millbury, Mass.) made a three with 6:51 on the clock. Mitchell tightened the Lancers' lead again with 5:11 on the clock when she drained her third consecutive 3-pointer for a 12-9 score. Worcester State held a slight lead throughout the remainder of the period despite a trey from Mischelle Logie (Attleboro, Mass.) with 1:52 to go.
The Lancers held a 5-point lead going into the second quarter and pushed ahead three more on a Maglione and-one. Mitchell had the next four points for the visitors and Angelina Marazzi (Manchester, N.H.) knotted the score at 23-23 with 8:29 to go. Maglione scored the next 11 points of the game to give the Lancers a 34-23 advantage with 5:43 on the clock. Marazzi and Mitchell cut the Lancers' lead to just seven with 4:37 to go, but Maglione drained another triple to give the Lancers a 10-point lead. In the last four minutes of the second quarter, the only basket was from Worcester State's Emily Carens (Northborough, Mass.), giving the Blue and Gold a 12-point lead heading into the intermission.
The teams traded points during the first three minutes of the third until Fitchburg State went on a 7-0 run to make it a 5-point game. The Falcons kept trying to get within five, but Maglione kept raining three's to maintain a 5-plus lead.
Worcester State held a 10-point lead to start the fourth and eventually closed out the game with a 74-63 score as the fourth was back-and-forth play for each team.
ACROSS THE BOARD
- Maglione led all scoring with 26 points, going 9-for-14 (.623) from the field and 6-for-11 (.545) from 3-point range. She also picked up two rebounds and two steals in the win.
- Worcester State's Catherine Sweeney (Lowell, Mass.) was three assists shy of a triple-double, registering 16 points, 14 rebounds, seven assists, two blocks, and a steal.
- Surprenant contributed 14 points, four rebounds, four assists and a block.
- Herring chipped in 11 boards with six points, five helpers, three steals and a block.
- Fitchburg State's offensive efforts were led by Marazzi and Mitchell who combined for 41 poitns. Marazzi shot 50% (9-18) from the floor while Mitchell put up four three's.
- The Falcons' rebounding leader was Michaela McTomney (Bellingham, Mass.) who had eight and also recorded four steals and an assist in the setback.
- Worcester State outshot Fitchburg State from the floor, as the Lancers marked a 47.7 (31-65) field goal percentage. However, Fitchburg held a greater 3-point field goal percentage (43.8%) and free throw percentage (60%).
- Worcester State outrebounded the visitors 46-30.
- The Lancers maintained the lead throughout the entire game.
The Lancers return to the Lancer Gymnasium on Tuesday (Jan. 23) when they host Bridgewater State in a 5:30 p.m. MASCAC matchup. Fitchburg State returns home on the same date, entertaining Westfield State at 5:30 p.m.