SALEM, Mass. – Kate Surprenant (Pelham, N.H.) poured in a game-high 14 points while both Britt Herring (West Brookfield, Mass.) and Kaitlyn Berkel (Waterford, Conn.) each recorded double-doubles to help the Lancers to a 61-50 win over Salem State in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action Saturday afternoon.
January 27, 2018
Score: Worcester State 61, Salem State 50
Records: Worcester State (10-9, 4-3 MASCAC) | Salem State (7-13, 3-4 MASCAC)
Worcester State led by six at the end of one before pulling away late in the second quarter to take a 29-18 lead into halftime.
Surprenant notched seven first half points and her only three-pointer of the half to put Worcester State on top 21-14 as the Lancers closed the second quarter on an 11-4 run in building an 11-point halftime advantage. Worcester State held Salem State to just six points in the quarter on 3-14 (21.4%) shooting while the Lancers connected on 11-25 (44.0%) shots from the field. Norma Waggett (Saugus, Mass.) led the Vikings with eight first half points as the Vikings struggled on offense, shooting just 9-27 (33.3%) for the half.
A Surprenant layup gave Worcester State its largest lead 31-18 at the 9:38 mark of the third before the Vikings went on an 8-0 clip to cut the deficit to just five points, 36-31, after a Tyra Scott (Methuen, Mass.) bucket. Kia Fernandes (Wareham, Mass.), who had nine points on the day, scored six straight for Salem State during the run. Late in the third, a three-pointer by Christina Corey (Methuen, Mass.) drew Salem State to within four points before a free throw by Emily Carens (Northboro, Mass.) gave the Lancers a 38-33 lead heading into the fourth.
Salem State stayed within striking distance until midway through the final period, when back-to-back layups and two free throws by Surprenant put Worcester State up by 12, 55-43, with 2:25 left. The Vikings never got any closer than nine points the rest of the way as the Lancers closed out the game, winning 61-50.
DIG THE DIGITS
- Surprenant went 5-for-14 from the floor, 1-for-5 from 3-point range, and 3-for-4 from the free throw line to total her 14 points.
- Herring went 4-for-9 from the floor and 4-for-7 from the charity stripe for 12 points, and recorded 12 boards.
- Berkel recorded 10 points and 11 rebounds in the win.
- Sophomore Catherine Sweeney (Lowell, Mass.) chipped in seven points along with five assists, four steals, and two blocks.
- Waggett ended with eight points while Gianna Moschella (Peabody, Mass.) added nine points for Salem State, which went 21-60 (35.0%) from the floor.
The women's basketball team will tipoff a 3-game home stand beginning on Wednesday (Jan. 31) when they host Framingham State in a 5:30 p.m. league game.
Release Courtesy of Salem State Sports Information