BRISTOL, R.I. – The Worcester State University women's lacrosse team opened the 2018 season with a 14-4 loss to Roger Williams University in a Tuesday afternoon matchup at Bayside Field.
February 27, 2018
Score: Roger Williams 14, Worcester State 4
Records: Roger Williams (1-0) | Worcester State (0-1)
Roger Williams' Emily Stoeppel (Brookfield, Conn.) scored the Hawks' first goal of the season 1:06 into the game on an assist from Kaelin Hogan (Bethel, Conn.). Following a free possession shot attempt by Carly Martin (Scituate, Mass.), saved by Worcester State's goaltender, Chloe O'Brien (Sturbridge, Mass.), Worcester State cleared the ball and knotted the score at 1-1 on an unassisted goal from Kelly Austin (Brimfield, Mass.). 10 minutes into the game, Worcester State saw its first lead of the season when Mackenzie Little (Marlborough, Mass.) scored on a helper from Kylie Farrell (Sutton, Mass.) to set the score at 2-1. Roger Williams would come back with seven unanswered goals over the final 20 minutes of the half. Stoeppel scored three times for the Hawks over that stretch, with Hogan, Martin, Devon Sarazin (Falmouth, Maine), and Shayne Rivard (Easton, Conn.) each adding goals.
The second half started with an attempted goal by Martin which shortly got taken away due to an illegal stick in the first 10 minutes. Roger Williams quickly made up for the illegal play with a goal from Stoeppel with an assist from at 24:05. Worcester State fought back less than a minute later with a goal from Kaylee Krajewski (Holyoke, Mass.) putting the score at 3-9. The Hawks tallied three more points in the matter of two minutes with goals from Hogan, Paige Byrne (Clifton Park, N.Y.), and Sarazin putting the score at 12-3 at 19:20. Little scored a goal for the Lancers at 17:58 to bring the Lancers within eight.
Both teams remained scoreless for nearly 12 minutes until Stoeppel was able to score with an assist from Delana Erickson (Concord, N.H.) at 6:01. Hogan scored the Hawks' last goal with an assist from Sarazin at 1:52, putting the final score at 4-14.
DOWN FOR A COUNT
- Hogan led the Hawks with eight points on three goals and five assists.
- Stoeppel contributed with six goals and Sarazin contributed five points (2 G, 3 A).
- Leading the Lancers was Little with two goals.
- Austin and Krajewski each scored a goal for the Blue and Gold.
- Roger Williams' starting goaltender, Lydia Nelson (Center Moriches, N.Y.), earned the win in net, stopping five Lancer shots. Addie Di Scipio (Falls Church, Va.) relieved Nelson and saw six minutes in net.
- Worcester State's O'Brien suffered her first loss in a 16-save performance.
- The Hawks outshot the Lancers, 41-8 throughout the game.
- Roger Williams also held the advantage in ground balls, 31-16.
- Worcester State and Roger Williams were an even 10-10 on draws.
- The Hawks caused 31 Lancer turnovers, and turned the ball over themselves 16 times.
The women's lacrosse team returns to competition on Thursday (Mar. 1) when they travel to Gordon College for a 4 p.m. tilt.
Portions of this Release Courtesy of Roger Williams Sports Information