CASTLETON, Vt. – Worcester State University's Kaylee Krajewski (Holyoke, Mass.) and Alexis Vecchiarelli (Agawam, Mass.) each tallied three goals apiece to help the Lancers to its first victory of the 2018 season over Castleton State, 12-10.
March 16, 2018
Spartan Athletic Conference
Score: Worcester State 12, Castleton State 10
Records: Worcester State (1-2) | Castleton State (1-4)
Castleton's Emma Best (Salisbury, Vt.) began the scoring three minutes into the game on a helper from Morgan Derosia (Vernon, Vt.) for the first lead. Worcester State's Vecchiarelli and Krajewski came back with goals to give the Lancers a 2-1 edge mid-way through the first half. Emily Cross (Shaftsbury, Vt.) accounted for a Spartan goal with just eight minutes remaining to knot the game at 2-2, however Worcester State concluded the frame with a 3-1 run on goals from Mackenzie Little (Marlboro, Mass.), Vecchiarelli, and Kelly Austin (Brimfield, Mass.) to enter the intermission ahead, 6-3.
Worcester State did not let up as Krajewski and Vecchiarelli tacked on three additional goals to bring the score to 9-3 with 28:29 remaining in the game. Just under 25 minutes to go, the Spartans rallied and put up four consecutive goals from Derosia, Hannah Braman (Chelsea, Vt.), Erin Shuttle (Georgia, Vt.), and Cross to set the score at 9-7, still in favor of the Blue and Gold. Worcester's Kylie Farrell (Sutton, Mass.) ended the streak for the Spartans with a tally with 15 minutes to go. The teams traded goals throughout the remainder of the stanza, and the Lancers came out on top, 12-10 for the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Castleton's Cross led all scoring with four goals and assisted one.
- Braman also finished with five points on two goals and a game-high three assists.
- Worcester State's offense was led by Krajewski and Vecchiarelli who had three goals apiece.
- Little tallied two goals and an assist, and also notched a game-high nine draws.
- Austin and Coley Hayes (Norwood, Mass.) led in the assists category for Worcester with two apiece.
- Lauren Arbec (Fairhaven, Mass.) registered a team-high five ground balls for Worcester
- In goal, Worcester State's Chloe O'Brien (Sturbridge, Mass.) earned her first collegiate win in a 12-save performance.
- Samantha Hebb (Ashland, Mass.) suffered the loss for Castleton with five saves.
The Worcester State women's lacrosse team will travel to Englewood, Florida for their next two games and will face Western New England on Monday, Mar. 19 and then matchup against Calvin on Wednesday, Mar. 21 before returning home to Worcester.