WORCESTER, Mass. – Worcester State University's senior attacker Alexis Vecchiarelli (Agawam, Mass.) helped her team to a 9-7 home opening win over Curry on Thursday as she tallied a game-high three goals and two assists for the Blue and Gold.
March 29, 2018
Score: Worcester State 9, Curry 7
Records: Worcester State (4-3) | Curry (2-4)
Vecchiarelli registered the Lancers' first goal of the game 2:11 into the game on a free position shot. The Lancers continued to build on their lead and held a 4-0 advantage mid-way through the first half as Abby Magnuson (Ellington, Conn.) registered two of them on helpers from Vecchiarelli. Curry's Katie Parker (Branford, Conn.) scored the Colonels first goal of the game with 11:26 on the clock on an assist from Abby Dubel (Wolfeboro, N.H.). Worcester State then closed out the half with a 3-0 run on two unassisted goals from Mackenzie Little (Marlboro, Mass.) and a goal by Rachel Hopkins (Chelmsford, Mass.) setup by Little for a 7-1 score going into the break.
Curry was the first team to score in the second half on Parker's second goal of the game. Taylor Dube (Milford, Mass.) scored for the Blue and Gold two minutes later, but Curry sparked a 3-0 lead to get within three, all on free position shots from Dubel and Parker. Worcester State's Vecchiarelli broke the Colonel's run on an unassisted goal with 6:39 to go in the game. Curry did not give up and fought back with two goals from Courtney Lima (New Bedford, Mass.) and Dubel to close the gap to two, but ran out of time as the game concluded with a final score of 9-7 in favor or Worcester State.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Vecchiarelli led with three goals and two assists for Worcester State.
- Little totaled two goals and two assist, while Magnuson picked up two goals.
- Alexa Harvey (Attleboro, Mass.) led in the ground ball category with six. Kelly Austin (Brimfield, Mass.) caused four turnovers.
- Curry's offense was guided by Parker and Dubel who each had three goals.
- Dubel picked up a team-high six ground balls for the Colonels.
- The Colonel's Abigail Roy (Nashua, N.H.) caused a team-high four turnovers.
- Lily Ashford (Atkinson, N.H.) won four draws for Curry.
- Chloe O'Brien (Sturbridge, Mass.) stopped nine shots for the win in net, while Amy Collard (Lakeville, Mass.) had a 10-save performance in the loss for Curry.
- Worcester State held the advantage in shots (38-21) and ground balls (38-25).
- The teams were even at eight draws apiece.
The women's lacrosse team returns home on Saturday (Mar. 31) for the conference opener against Framingham State. Curry hosts Nichols on Tuesday (Apr. 3) in a 4 p.m. tilt.