FITCHBURG, Mass. – Worcester State University's senior attack, Alexis Vecchiarelli (Agawam, Mass.) led the Lancers to a crucial Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) win over the Falcons of Fitchburg State as she netted four-of-nine goals in the 9-7 edge.
April 25, 2018
Score: Worcester State 9, Fitchburg State 7
Records: Worcester State (9-7, 3-3 MASCAC) | Fitchburg State (7-7, 2-4 MASCAC)
The teams traded eight meter scores from Lancers' freshman Abby Magnuson (Ellington, Conn.) and Falcons' senior Carrie Long (Foxborough, Mass) for a 1-1 score through the first ten minutes. Worcester State then took a 4-2 lead on goals from Vecchiarelli and Rachel Hopkins (Chelmsford, Mass.). The Lancers held a two-plus margin until there was 6:40 remaining in the half when Fitchburg's Madison Alves (Braintree, Mass.) scored on a helper from Anna Gagnon-Burch (Putney, Vt.). Though, Worcester State's Vecchiarelli scored her third goal of the game right after, which resulted in a 6-4 halftime score.
Hopkins scored her second goal of the game to give Worcester State a three-goal advantage just over a minute into the second frame. Fitchburg State closed the gap to one goal with 21:53 succeeding goals from Sarah Napoliato (Peabody, Mass.) and Sarah Mallahan (Dracut, Mass.). The score remained 7-6 until Vecchiarelli potted her fourth goal of the game with 14:43 on the clock to give Worcester their sixth two-point edge over the Falcons. Napoliatano got the Falcons within one once again, but Worcester State closed out the second half with an insurance goal with 5:53 remaining rom Kelly Austin (Brimfield, Mass.) for the 9-7 final score.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Worcester State held a 24-19 edge in shots throughout the game.
- Vecchiarelli led all scoring with four goals on the evening.
- Worcester State's Hopkins and Austin each totaled two goals apiece in the win.
- Isabel Baldrate (Plymouth, Mass.) recorded a team-high five ground balls and caused two turnovers.
- Austin, Hopkins, and Mackenzie Little (Marlborough, Mass.) each marked three draws for the Lancers as Worcester State held a 12-6 margin in draw controls.
- Fitchburg State's attack was led by Napolitano who had two goals and one assist. Gagnon-Burch also collected three points on one goal and two assists.
- Long notched a game-high seven ground balls and caused a game-high eight turnovers.
- Fitchburg held a 31-28 ground ball advantage.
- Worcester State converted 3-of-5 free position shots, while Fitchburg State went 1-for-8.
- Chloe O'Brien (Sturbridge, Mass.) earned the win in net as she stopped 12-of-19 shots (63.2%). Fitchburg State's Marguerite Belcher (Quincy, Mass.) was tabbed the loss in an 11-save performance.
- This was the tenth meeting between the two schools in lacrosse with the Falcons 6-4 all-time when taking on the Lancers.
- Fitchburg State had won the last two contests with Worcester State, including an 11-10 triumph last season at Coughlin Field.
The Lancers wrap up the regular season at Salem State on Saturday (Apr. 28) at 7 p.m.
Portions of this Release Courtesy of Fitchburg State Sports Information