WORCESTER, Mass. – Kelly Austin (Brimfield, Mass.) scored three goals to lead Worcester State to a 13-6 victory over Salem State in a Saturday evening Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) regular season finale game.
April 21, 2018
Score: Worcester State 13, Salem State 6
Records: Worcester State (10-7, 4-3 MASCAC) | Salem State (3-13, 2-5 MASCAC)
Worcester State raced out to a 6-0 opening half lead, scoring on their first four attempts in building an 8-2 halftime lead. Coley Hayes (Norwood, Mass.), Austin, Kaylee Krajewski (Holyoke, Mass.) and Ashley Perugini (Watertown, Conn.) gave the Lancers a 4-0 advantage with 12:25 remaining before halftime. Alexis Vecchiarelli (Agawam, Mass.) and Austin's second of the game extended the lead to 6-0 before Courtney Smith (Peabody, Mass.) got one back for the Vikings. Chelsea Smith (Tewksbury, Mass.) made it 6-2 before back-to-back goals by Austin and Vecchiarelli gave the Lancers a six-goal advantage at the intermission.
Chelsea Smith opened the second half with a score, which drew the Vikings to within five at 8-3 in the first minute of play. However, Abby Magnuson (Ellington, Conn.) and Rachel Hopkins (Chelmsford, Mass.) sandwiched scores around Chelsea Smith's third goal of the game, giving the Lancers a 10-4 lead with just over 20 minutes left. Courtney Smith cut the lead in half for Salem State, but Hopkins pushed the lead back to six with her second of the game. Kylie Farrell (Sutton, Mass.) and Magnuson pushed the advantage to 13-5 before Tara McLaughlin (Woburn, Mass.) capped the scoring with a goal for the Vikings in the final minute.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Austin led the Lancers with three goals and picked up three ground balls.
- Hopkins, Vecchiarelli, and Magnuson each had two goals apiece, while Krajewski, Farrell, Perugini, and Hayes had the others.
- Hayes led the team with six draw controls, while senior Mackenzie Little (Marlborough, Mass.) won four.
- Lauren Arbec (Fairhaven, Mass.) caused a game-high five turnovers for Worcester State.
- Salem State's Chelsea Smith collected three goals, while Courtney Smith had two.
- Rose Sullivan logged five ground balls for the Vikings.
- Worcester State outshot the Vikings 32-22.
- Worcester State's Chloe O'Brien (Sturbridge, Mass.) earned the win in net, as she turned away eight shots on net.
- Salem State held a 17-14 ground ball advantage, while Worcester State held the edge in draws 14-6.
The Lancers will head into playoffs, which begin on Tuesday (May 1). The teams will await the pairings from the MASCAC, which will be released later tonight.
Release Courtesy of Salem State Sports Information