WORCESTER, Mass. – The Worcester State University women's volleyball team used a .302 hitting percentage to blank the Becker Hawks 3-0 (25-15, 25-19, 25-7) and advance their winning streak to seven in a Thursday evening non-conference matchup inside the Lancer Gymnasium.
October 5, 2017
Score: Worcester State 3, Becker 0
Records: Worcester State (12-6) | Becker (8-11)
Becker's Micaela Rice (Charlton, Mass.) scored the first point of the evening. Though, Worcester State battled back and scored four consecutive points on kills to take the 4-1 lead. Becker took advantage of Worcester attack errors and a kill from Kayla Dupree (North Bergen, N.J.) to knot the score at 6-6. The set saw two more ties until Worcester State added five points to the scoreboard with Megan Leavens (Storrs, Conn.) at the service. Worcester State added to their lead again once more when Katrina Kangwijaya (Dunstable, Mass.) was at the service, building a 19-10 lead. The teams traded points throughout the remainder of the set, however, Worcester State ended up on top and concluded the set with a score of 25-15 with kills from Marissa Proia (Framingham, Mass.) and Stephanie Chapin (Hampden, Mass.).
Leavens began the second set with three consecutive service aces to put the Lancers on top early. The Hawks scored on kills from Charlene Landry (Gorham, Maine) and Morgan Gould (North Attleboro, Mass.) to adjust the score at 5-2 moments later, and the Lancers kept a slight advantage throughout the remainder of the set. Worcester State closed out the set with a 5-1 run to conclude the set with a score of 25-19 in favor of the Lancers.
Despite a Worcester service error that put Becker ahead in the final set, Worcester State came back with a 9-0 run with Lauren Murphy (Taunton, Mass.) at the service. Becker's Gould would break the run with a kill on a helper from Landry. Though, Worcester State added to its lead with a kill from Allie Nolan (Melrose, Mass.), a service ace from Kangwijaya, and Becker attack errors. Worcester State went on another 5-0 run with Chapin at the service, and again with Nolan at the serve to push away for the 25-7 win.
DIG THE DIGITS
- Worcester State's offensive attack was led by Chapin who matched a career-best 15 kills with a .571 attack percentage in the win. Amari King (Lawrence, Mass.) and Emily Carens (Northborough, Mass.) chipped in nine and eight kills, respectively, in the win.
- Nolan assisted the Lancers' offense with 40 helpers and three kills with a .600 hitting percentage.
- Leavens led the defense with 13 digs, while King punched in 12. Leavens also notched game-high honors with four service aces.
- Becker's offense was led by Dupree who had six kills on the evening. The Hawks saw three kills apiece from Landry, Gillian Criddle (Earleville, Md.), Rice, and Gould.
- Landry assisted Becker's offense with 12 assists.
- Courtney Cotnoir (Douglas, Mass.) and Sofia Cullina (Deep River, Conn.) notched 15 and 12 digs, respectively.
- As a team, Worcester State logged a .302 team attack percentage, while holding Becker to just .084.
- Worcester held a 47-19 advantage in kills and a 61-53 tilt in digs.
- The Lancers expand their winning streak to seven, having shutout five of their seven last opponents.
Worcester State returns to action on Saturday (Oct. 7) when they square up against Colby-Sawyer and Eastern Nazarene in a tri-match. Becker also resumes play then when they travel to Brookline, Mass. for a tri-match with Newbury and Pine Manor.