NEWPORT, R.I. - Thanks to four second-half goals, the Worcester State University field hockey team rallied for a 6-3 victory over Salve Regina University Wednesday evening in non-conference action.
Series and Streaks
The Lancers lead 5-3 all-time and have won three in a row over the Seahawks.
Three Stars of the Game
- WOR senior Michaila Parent (Westborough, Mass.) scored twice and was the sparkplug for the Lancers comeback.
- WOR sophomore Rachel Hopkins (Chelmsford, Mass.) scored twice.
- SRU junior Olivia St. Jean (Goffstown, N.H.) handed out two assists.
The Lancers scored three minutes into the second half when Parent went coast-to-coast to tie the game at 3-3. Then seven minutes later Hopkins ripped a shot from the point that went five-hole to give the Lancers their first lead of the night. Parent, who was a force for the Lancers, tacked on another in the 54th minute, then Lauren Flemming (Leominster, Mass.) redirected a shot in to seal it with under five to play.
Key Stat of the Game
The Lancers outshot the Seahawks 35-19 and 21-9 in shots on goal.
- Senior goalkeeper Ally Daly (Peabody, Mass.) made a career-high 13 saves in the loss.
- Freshman keeper Jess Hopkins (Chelmsford, Mass.) made six saves for the Lancers.
- The Seahawks never trailed in the first half, leading 1-0, 2-1, and 3-2 at halftime.
- Salve Regina got a goal from Ashley Cody (Pawling, N.Y.), her third of the season, and goals from Hannah Bedrosian (Seekonk, Mass.) and Vanessa Frost (North Attleboro, Mass.) their firsts of the season.
- Salve Regina held a 10-7 edge in penalty corners.
- The Lancers controlled the closing part of the game and only allowed the Seahawks to take three shots in the final 17 minutes of the game.
Worcester State (1-1) travels to Fitchburg on Friday, September 7 (7 p.m.); Salve Regina (0-2) hosts Thomas (Maine) on Sunday, September 9 (1 p.m.).
Release courtesy of Salve Regina Sports Information.