NORTH ADAMS, Mass. –Worcester State University's sophomore guard Catherine Sweeney (Lowell, Mass.) recorded a triple-double of 13 points, 13 rebounds, and 11 assists to lift the Lancers to a 63-52 Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) win over the MCLA Trailblazers Saturday afternoon.
January 13, 2018
Amsler Campus Center
Score: Worcester State 63, MCLA 52
Records: Worcester State (7-8, 1-2 MASCAC) | MCLA (4-11, 0-3 MASCAC)
MCLA took the first lead of the game on layups from McKenzie Robinson (Adams, Mass.) and Samantha Gawron (South Hadley, Mass.). The Trailblazers held the lead until Worcester State's Sam Maglione (Lancaster, Mass.) swished a three to get the Lancers within one, and a pair of free throws from Emily Carens (Northborough, Mass.) gave the Lancers their first lead of the game. The teams traded points on the next two possessions, but Worcester State would hold a 13-10 lead going into the second frame succeeding a Kaityn Berkel (Waterford, Conn.) layup.
Berkel opened up the second with a triple to push the Lancers ahead by six. MCLA would get within three with 5:07 to go in the second, but Worcester State scored six consecutive points from Berkel and Sweeney to go ahead by nine. The Lancers eventually led 30-22 at the half, holding the Trailblazers to just 32% shooting.
Buckets from Robinson and L'Rae Brundige (Valley Falls, N.Y.) to start the third quarter got the hosts within four. MCLA held on, but Worcester State kept the lead and did not allot the Trailblazers to come within less than four in the quarter.
After Worcester led 46-40 heading to the fourth quarter, Courtney Pingelski (Mechanicville, N.Y.) made two free throws to pull within four, but Britt Herring (West Brookfield, Mass.) answered on the next possession off another Sweeney assist to stem the tide. The Trailblazers would get within five points again at 56-51, but Carens bucket gave the Lancers breathing room and they coasted home from there.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Sweeney was outstanding throughout with the triple-double of 13 points, 13 rebounds, and 11 assists as she went 4-for-6 from the floor. She also collected three blocks and a steal for the Lancers.
- Berkel and Herring were the beneficiaries of Sweeney's passing. Berkel netted a game-high 14 points on 6-for-13 shooting while Herring scored 13 points and was 6-for-10 from the floor, adding in five blocks on the defensive end. Berkel finished off her own double-double with 11 rebounds.
- MCLA was led by Pingelski 12-point afternoon. She added 10 rebounds in the loss.
- Kylah Langston (East Hartford, Conn.) added 10 points for the Trailblazers, while Robinson chipped in nine.
- Worcester State shot 38.7% from the field, while MCLA stood at 35% throughout the contest.
- Half of Worcester State's points were scored in the paint.
- Worcester State outrebounded MCLA, 47-36.
Worcester State is idle until next Saturday (Jan. 20) when they host Fitchburg State in a 1 p.m. MASCAC matchup in the Lancer Gymnasium.