WORCESTER, Mass. – Framingham State University's Kimberly Foley (Mansfield, Mass.) and Nicole Pacheco (Woburn, Mass.) combined for nine goals and four assists to guide the Rams to an 18-10 victory over Worcester State in the Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) women's lacrosse opener Saturday afternoon.
March 31, 2018
Score: Framingham State 18, Worcester State 10
Records: Framingham State (8-1, 1-0 MASCAC) | Worcester State (4-4, 0-1 MASCAC)
Worcester State began the outing with back-to-back free position shots from Kelly Austin (Brimfield, Mass.) and Mackenzie Little (Marlboro, Mass.) for a 2-0 lead. However, Framingham State responded with four consecutive shots (two from Pacheco) to take the 4-2 advantage mid-way through the first half. Worcester State's Ashely Perugini (Watertown, Conn.) broke the Rams' run with 14:41 to go in the first half on a helper from Hannah Sledzieski (Northampton, Mass.). Framingham State concluded the half with a 3-1 run led by Alissa Marino (Trumbull, Conn.) to set the score at 7-4 heading into the break.
The Lancers' Austin tallied the first goal of the second half on a free position shot, but Framingham State answered with five ensuing shots to up the score to 12-5. Worcester State added in two goals from Little and Austin halfway through the half, but Framingham State would go on another 5-0 scoring binge led by Foley to hold a 18-7 advantage with 6:46 to go in the game. Worcester State concluded the game with three goals of their own – one from Taylor Dube (Milford, Mass.) on a free position shot, and two unassisted goals from Little to settle at an 18-10 final score.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Foley led the Rams' offense with five goals and two assists. She also picked up a game-high six draws, three ground balls, and caused two turnovers.
- Pacheco tallied four goals and two assists with four draws, one ground ball and one caused turnover.
- Hanna McMahon (Watertown, Mass.) and Kristen Keenan (Methuen, Mass.) each had two goals for the visitors.
- Worcester State's Little and Austin had four and three goals, respectively.
- Little was the Lancers' leader in draws with five, while Austin caused four turnovers.
- Isabell Baldrate (Plymouth, Mass.) picked up six ground balls for Worcester State.
- Indigo Fox Tree-McGrath (Bedford, Mass.) earned the win in net, making four saves in the 60 minutes played.
- Worcester State's Chloe O'Brien (Sturbridge, Mass.) was tabbed the loss in a 7-save performance.
- Framingham State held the edge in draw controls (19-11), shots (33-15) and ground balls (24-22).
- Worcester State converted 5-of-6 free position shots, while Framingham State scored on four of seven free position shot attempts.
The Lancers host Eastern Connecticut State University on Tuesday (Apr. 3) at 4 p.m. while the Rams host Smith on Wednesday (Apr. 4) at 7 p.m.