WORCESTER, Mass. – Worcester State University's Taylor Dube (Milford, Mass.) and Kaylee Krajewski (Holyoke, Mass.) combined for seven goals to help the Lancers defeat the Massachusetts Maritime Buccaneers by a score of 15-6 for their first Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) win of the season on Saturday.
April 7, 2018
Score: Worcester State 15, Mass. Maritime 6
Records: Worcester State (5-5, 1-1 MASCAC) | Mass. Maritime (4-5, 0-2 MASCAC)
Massachusetts Maritime took the first lead of the game on a goal from Casey Sullivan (Sagamore Beach, Mass.), assisted by Stephanie Hunt (Brookfield, Conn.). Though, Worcester State came attacking back and went on an 8-0 run led by Krajewski to attain a 7-point lead with 7:20 remaining in the first half. The Buccaneers' broke the Lancers' scoring binge with a goal from Anna Deely (Marstons Mills, Mass.) with just over six minutes remaining. Worcester State's Dube and Massachusetts Maritime's Sullivan each had two goals in the final five minutes of the first half for a 10-4 score going into the break.
The Lancers scored four consecutive goals during the first 15 minutes of the second half – two of which were from Dube. Massachusetts Maritime's Sullivan scored her fourth goal of the day on a man-up opportunity with 9:49 to go in the second to stop the running clock and set the score at 14-5. Next, Worcester State's Hannah Sledzieski (Northampton, Mass.) scored her first collegiate goal, and then the Buccs' Sullivan capped off the day with her fifth goal of the day on another helper from Hunt for a 15-6 final score.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Massachusetts Maritime's Sullivan was the game-leader in goals with five, while Hunt assisted a game-high five goals on the occasion.
- The Lancers' offense was guided by Dube and Krajewski who had four and three goals, respectively, while senior Alexis Vecchiarelli (Agawam, Mass.) totaled a game-high five assists.
- Vecchiarelli and Mackenzie Little (Marlborough, Mass.) registered two goals each for the Blue and Gold.
- Worcester State's Isabell Baldrate (Plymouth, Mass.) and Alexa Harvey (Attleboro, Mass.) were the game-leaders in the ground ball category with six each.
- The Lancers' Little won a game-high six draws, while Massachusetts Maritime's Deeley and Sullivan each had five for the Buccs.
- The Buccs' Hunt caused a game-high six turnovers, while Worcester State's Coley Hayes (Norwood, Mass.) caused five.
- Freshman goaltender, Chloe O'Brien (Sturbridge, Mass.) stopped 11-of-17 shots on net for the win, while Massachusetts Maritime's Mikayla Correia (Dartmouth, Mass.) made an impressive 17 saves on 32 shots in the loss.
- Overall, Lancers outshot the visitors 37-21.
- Worcester State held the advantage in draw controls (10-12) and ground balls (42-28).
- Both teams combined for 60 turnovers in the 60 minutes of play.
Worcester State returns to action on Tuesday (Apr. 10) as they host UMass Dartmouth in a 7 p.m. "One Love" game. Mass. Maritime resumes on the same date as they host Dean in a 7 p.m. tilt.