WORCESTER, Mass. – Senior attack, Mackenzie Little (Marlborough, Mass.) broke the Worcester State University school record for draw controls in a single season (reaching 83 tonight) as the Lancers cruised to a 14-4 Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) win over the visiting Trailblazers of MCLA Tuesday evening.
April 17, 2018
Score: Worcester State 14, MCLA 4
Records: Worcester State (7-6, 2-2 MASCAC) | MCLA (1-6, 0-4 MASCAC)
The Lancers scored five goals in the first five minutes of play, and doubled their lead to 10 with just under 10 minutes left in the first half. Alexis Vecchiarelli (Agawam, Mass.) accounted for four of the 10 goals and Alexa Harvey (Attleboro, Mass.) scored her second and third goals of the season. MCLA didn't reach the scoreboard until there was 5:46 remaining in the first half when Mackenzie Cutler (East Amherst, Mass.) scored on a helper from Rachel Green (Petersburgh, N.Y.). Cutler added in another one with a minute remaining to put the score at 10-2 heading into the second frame.
Vecchiarelli recorded her fifth goal of the game 1:25 into the second half on an assist from Kelly Austin (Brimfield, Mass.). Abby Magnuson (Ellington, Conn.) and Austin added in one each to attain the largest lead of the game (11) with 22 minutes to go. Worcester State possessed the ball for the remainder of the game, but MCLA's Kim Granito (Glenmont, N.Y.) and Green found opportunities and sent the ball into the back of of the net to settle for a 14-4 final score.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Little broke the Worcester State University draw control single season record, as she won five tonight to total 83 in 2018. She bests Worcester State's Jackie Connors (2013-16) who logged 82 in the 2015 season.
- Worcester State outshot the visitors 24-7 (15-4 in the first half alone).
- Worcester State held a slight advantage in draws (11-9) and collected 27 ground balls in comparison to MCLA's 10.
- Vecchiarelli led the Lancers' attack with five goals and two assists.
- Little and Austin each had two goals while Austin led in the assist category with three.
- Lauren Arbec (Fairhaven, Mass.) and Taylor Dube (Milford, Mass.) each had four ground balls on the night for Worcester.
- Chloe O'Brien (Sturbridge, Mass.) earned the win in net as she made two saves on the night.
- The Trailblazers' Zoe Elwell (Clifton Park, N.Y.) logged a game-high six ground balls and suffered the loss in goal as she stopped 8-of-22 shots on the frame.
- MCLA was led by Cutler who had two goals and four draws.
Worcester State hosts non-conference opponent, Colby-Sawyer, on Thursday (April 19). MCLA travels to Mass. Maritime on Friday (April 20) before returning home to host Westfield State and Framingham State next week.